Life in Leeds


Moving to a new country, even for a few weeks, can be very exciting and sometimes a little worrying. But remember that we are here to help you if you have any problems. You can find helpful information about living in the UK on this page.


England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
Capital cities: London (England), Edinburgh (Scotland), Wales (Cardiff) and Belfast (Northern Ireland)
Currency: Pound Sterling (£) and pence (p). £1 = 100p
Language: English Population: About 63 million
Head of State: Queen Elizabeth II
System of government: Democracy
Climate: Mild and wet

Basic facts about the UK
Healthcare in the UK

In the UK, you must register with a doctor. It is free and easy to register with a doctor. You must take a letter with your address and your passport to your nearest GP surgery and you will need to complete an application form. You can find your nearest GP on the NHS website. If you are not registered with a doctor, you must go to a walk-in centre, like the Shakespeare Medical Practice here in Leeds.

In the UK, you must only go to hospital if your illness/injury is life-threatening. If you are only a little ill, you can go to your pharmacy or chemist’s, and they will be able to help you. Find your nearest pharmacy here.

If you live near MDA College, we can take you to the doctor to register. If you have medical problems, we will need to know which GP you are registered to in Leeds.

In the UK, you must register with a dentist. You can find an NHS dentist here. You will need to pay for your dentist in the UK, but an NHS dentist is cheaper than a private dentist. It can be difficult to find an NHS dentist, so many people choose a private dentist instead.

Registering with the police in the UK

Some people who come to the UK with a visa need to register with the police. See if you need to register here.

All the information for your police registration in Leeds is on the West Yorkshire Police website.

To complete your registration, you must complete this form.
You can ask us for help.
Then, you must take:

- your form
- your passport
- your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
- your Letter of Acceptance
- a passport photo
-£34 in cash

Pudsey Police Station
Dawsons Corner
Bradford Road
LS28 5TA

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

If you will stay in the UK for more than 6 months, you may need a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).
When your card is ready, you will get an email to tell you where to collect it from. If you need any help with this, please ask us. When you receive your BRP, please bring it to us so we can add it to your student file.
You can find more information about the BRP here.

Holidays in the UK

In the UK, Christian holidays (like Easter and Christmas) are public holidays. Other religious holidays, like Eid or Hanukkah, are not public holidays.
We also have holidays throughout the year called bank holidays. These are always on a Monday and most bank holidays are in Spring and Summer. On a bank holiday, most shops are open but many shops close early, and there are less trains and buses.

MDA College is closed for most bank holidays, except the August bank holiday. You can find information about our holidays here.

Working in the UK


Working while you study is a good way to support yourself and improve your English skills. However, please remember that you must give yourself time to study and relax. If you would like information about our English + Internships, please click here.

Please make sure you know your rights in the UK before looking for a job. If you are planning to work while you study at MDA College, you can talk to us about any problems you have at work.

Indeed is a very popular site to find work in the UK. You can look for temporary and permanent jobs. Please check if a company is legitimate (real, legal and respects the law) before accepting any job offers


If you cannot or do not want to work in the UK, volunteering can be a great way to get work experience, meet new people and practise your English in the UK.

If you are interested in volunteering, please speak to your teacher or Zahra at reception.

Finding accommodation in Leeds

You can ask us to help you to find accommodation in Leeds. However, you can also find your own accommodation in Leeds, especially if you plan to stay in the UK or would like to live with people from your country or your family.

In the UK, it is more popular to live outside the city centre. This means that you might find it more difficult to find a house or flat in the city centre, and you might need to look at accommodation further away.

In the UK, most rent contracts are either 6 months or 1 year long. You can then choose to renew your contract if you want to stay longer.

You should always try to see a property before you agree to rent it.
Signing your rental agreement.
Before you sign your contract for your rental, you must read it carefully and check you understand everything it says.

Most rent contracts will say these things:
- You must pay a deposit and one month of rent before you can move in.
- You must pay for any damage. This will usually come from your deposit.
- You must not let anyone stay in the property who is not on the contract.
- You must not smoke in the property.
- You must clean the property regularly and after you leave.
- You must tell the landlord if there are any problems in the property.

Do not sign your contract until you have understood everything in it.
If you want help with this, please talk to us.
You can find more advice about accommodation in the UK here.